I am a self-taught artist with an insatiable hunger for knowledge and understanding.
Through one form or another of rhythmic/obsessive mark making, I create a condition where I am able to either quiet the mind, or go deeper into it. These efforts reflect my deepest desire for spiritual evolution and permit me the opportunity to be of service to others as a writer and a teacher.
When people ask me if a particular culture or wisdom tradition has influenced my work, the answer is almost always yes. My inspiration comes from everywhere.
I enjoy the tactile experiences I encounter while working with a variety of mediums and supports. At any given moment, I might desire to work with acrylic paint, watercolor/gouache, colored pencils, or a single white pencil on a piece of black paper.
Currently a resident artist with a private studio at The Banana Factory Arts and Education Center in Bethlehem, PA, I utilize a variety of skills as an artist, writer, and teacher to empower creative expression within myself and to others seeking the same.
As of March 2016, I am accepting private students and am able to support your creativity in a variety of different ways. I also offer group classes and private/public workshops at your location or mine.
I am also available for artist talks, live painting demonstrations, artist residencies and exhibition opportunities. Please contact me for further details: stephanie at biffybeans.com or 484-893-0336.
Studio hours are by chance or by appointment.
Selected Group Exhibitions:
2015 RiverJazz, ArtsQuest Center at SteelStacks, Bethlehem, PA
2015 Resident Artist Annual Exhibition Part 2, Banana Factory, Bethlehem, PA
2015 ISAP 6th Annual International Open Online Show
2014 N.A.W.A. 125th Members Annual, New York, NY
2013 “ACE Group Show” MCS Gallery, Sigal Museum, Easton, PA
2012 “First Amendment” Highwire Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
2016, 2014, 2013, 2012 Featured Artist, Banana Factory, Bethlehem, PA
2016 “oddscapes” series I Studio #250, Banana Factory, Bethlehem, PA
2013 “South Side Smalls: The Red Collection” Studio #250, Banana Factory, Bethlehem, PA
2012 WE Connexions Gallery, Easton, PA
2011The Sketchbook Exchange Project participant Brooklyn Art Library, Brooklyn NY
2011 Moleskine Sketchbook Exchange Project participant
Workshop “Mandala: An Artful Meditation” presented to or at:
2016 Moravian College Bethlehem, PA
2015 Emmaus Community Center, Emmaus PA
2014 The Swain School, Allentown, PA
2011-13 Intro to Art Therapy, Cedar Crest College, Allentown, PA
2009-13 The Summer Rhythm Renewal Retreat, Loretto, PA
2013 heART Series, Banana Factory, Bethlehem, PA
2012 The Baum School of Art, Allentown, PA
2011 South Mountain College, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
"Creative Goal Setting" presented to the Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter of the Association for Talent Development at The Banana Factory Arts Center in Bethlehem, PA 2016
“Vision Boards: An Abundance Workshop” Studio #250 at The Banana Factory, Bethlehem, PA 2012, 2015
“The Creative Path: An Intro to Manifesting Abundance” Studio #250 at The Banana Factory, Bethlehem, PA 2014, 2015
“Creating a Manifestation Mandala” Studio #250 at The Banana Factory, Bethlehem, PA 2014
“Tapping the Source: Learning to Access Your Creative Spirit” co-presented w/ Dr. Kell Morton at Triunity Holistic Chiropractic, Allentown, PA 2014
“Creating a Manifestation List” Studio #250 at The Banana Factory, Bethlehem, PA 2012, 2015
“Fearless Artmaking” Studio #250 at The Banana Factory, Bethlehem, PA 2012
Presentations, Artist Talks, etc.:
Artist talk, Moravian College Museum Studies Students, Banana Factory, Bethlehem, PA 2015
Artist talk, Northampton Community College Fine Art Students, Banana Factory, Bethlehem, PA 2014, 2015, 2016
Guest Panel Speaker: Art Entrepreneurship in the Community, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA 2014, 2015
Artist Talk, “Metamorphosis” Banana Factory, Bethlehem, PA 2014
Artist Talk, The Swain School, Allentown, PA (Included student body assemblies and classroom visits) 2014
Artist talk, Parkland Art League, Allentown, PA 2014
Guest Panel Speaker: Arts Community of Easton (ACE) Information Extravaganza at the State for Artists and Artisans 2013
Organizations and Associations:
· Women’s Caucus for Art Philadelphia Chapter 2015
· National Association of Women Artists Juried Member 2014-2015
· Lehigh Art Alliance Member 2015
· Yoga Alliance RYT-200 August 2015 - Current
Awards/Honors, Residencies, etc.:
• 2014 Original mandala painting: “Seek” selected for the cover of “Cloud Eagle” a historical recording of Towa songs from the Seasonal Dance Group of the Jemez and Zuni Pueblos
• 2014 Visiting Artist at The Swain School in Allentown, PA
• 2011 Invited to become a resident artist at the Banana Factory Arts Center, Bethlehem, PA
• Brittany Garzillo “Spirit of Art” feature on PBS WLVT 39 FOCUS November 7, 2014
• Jaime Karpovich “Vision Boards with Stephanie Smith” Save the Kales! January 2014
• Ann Wlazelek "Visionary Artist In Process" Lehigh Valley Marketplace Magazine October 2013
• Samantha Kimball “Taking Root - Growth in the Valley Art Community” Elucidator Magazine Summer 2012
• Megan Waren “Intentions, Mantras, and Positive Affirmations - 100 Mandalas” Collage Diva November 9, 2014
• Thaneeya McArdle “Mandala Art by Stephanie Smith: Inspiring Mandala Designs in Multimedia” Art is Fun! January 16, 2011
Publications as Author
• 2008-Current Author of the blog Spiritual Evolution of the Bean: a combination of art, product reviews on a variety of art and writing supplies, and candid reflections on personal life experiences.
• 2009-2015 Author of Rhodia Drive a company blog dedicated to the French stationery brand.
• 2016 Career Representative, Liberty High School, Bethlehem, PA
• 2012-2014 Career Representative, Multicultural Leadership Conference, Lehigh University, Bethlehem PA
• 2013 Judge: Healing Through the Arts high school student art competition, Allentown, PA
• 2012 Artist: St. Luke's Cancer Survivor's Day, Lehigh Valley Zoo, Allentown, PA
• 2012 Judge: Notre Dame Elementary School Art Show, Bethlehem. PA
Personal Mission Statement: “My world is one of abundance. I believe there will always be more than enough. I create this reality by modeling openness, living in a mindful way, and by inspiring others through my own means of honest self-expression; art, writing and teaching.”