I bought a Kindle e-reader close to a year ago because I was convinced it would be easier on my wrists- and while that part was true, I find the hardest part to owning a Kindle is actually buying the books. For years I had been procuring most of my books via used book shops, book sales, sites like Paperbackswap.com or by buying used through Amazon and Ebay. Part of me wished I had known what the e-books cost before having taking the plunge on the reader. I guess I was somewhat naive in thinking that since there was no physical book, that costs cost of an e-book would be negligible. hahahahahahahahaha. While you can find loads of free classics and tons of .99 books, these are the same titles I usually ignore on the "Last Chance" discount tables at the Barnes and Noble.
Seeing now how most of the popular titles run anywhere from $6.99-$12.99 or more, (sometimes grrrrr even costing MORE than the paper version) it takes me FOREVER to pick a book for fear of not liking it and well, I can't trade digital books for credit at my favorite used bookstore. I mean what do you do when you don't like an electronic book? I bought that second Tattoo Girl book and couldn't get through the 1st few chapters, so now what? Bye-bye $7.99.
One thing that makes me feel a wee bit better about buying e-books is using any Amazon credits I have accumulated. The other day, I actually went on somewhat of a spending spree, telling myself to stop bantering about and just buy the books I've had on my wishlist forever and a day. And so I did. I actually bought ten books.
What did I buy?
- 'Tis: A Memoir by Frank McCourt (OMG this book is WONDERFUL! How could I not have read him before?) $12.99
- Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King (My all-time fav writer) $9.99
- Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue $11.99
- Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (Read a few years ago & loved it) $7.99
- Snake Lake by Jeff Greenwald (One of my fav travel writers) $8.94
- One Buddha is Not Enough: A Story of Collective Awakening by Thich Nhat Hanh $8.31
- Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child by Thich Nhat Hanh $9.66
- Just Kids by Patti Smith $9.99
- All I Can Handle: I'm No Mother Teresa: A Life Raising Three Daughters with Autism by Kim Stagliano $1.99
- My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands by Chelsea Handler $1.99
Which book am I reading now? "Tis. And I absolutely love it. I'm probably the last person in the work to read Frank McCourt. I can't wait to read his other books....
PS: It is helpful to me if you click through one of my Amazon links whenever you want to buy anything from them. As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small % of your purchases which helps keep me in books. :o)