Monday, November 2, 2009
I'm REALLY liking the way this one turned out.
I started off with a wash of different watercolors in a linen covered Cachet watercolor book. (I used to buy them at Blick but it seems as though they are no longer carrying them.) I then decided to try "masking" - that is to cover sections of the paper with a masking substance and then painting over it. In this case, I simply ripped pieces off of a roll of masking/painters tape and applied it in a random pattern. After I had the tape where I wanted it, I painted over it with another layer of the same watercolor paints.
Eager to see the results, I dried the paper using a hairdryer and peeled off the tape with the tip of an Exacto blade. It pretty much removed cleanly - only a small section of the paper came up with the end of one of the tape pieces. (I was able to cover it up.)
It looked pretty interesting at this point, but I knew it wasn't finished. I showed it to my husband and he suggested that I do a big black mandala over it and so that's just what I did. It was still just okay at that point and so I let it sit for a few days. When I picked it up again, I got inspired to add a little flair to it using a silver Pentel gel pen. And now I like it very much. :o)